   RE: XML Schema?

  • From: "David Valera" <dvalera@pcl-hage.nl>
  • To: "'Manoranjan Dash'" <mdash@techbooks.com>, <XML-DEV@xml.org>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 11:57:38 +0200

> I am a newbie, just started xml.

Aren't we all with the exception of a few diehards? :-)

> Can anyone tell me the exact definition of a schema?
> I mean what exactly is a schema in  xml?
>
> Sorry if I am asking a stupid question.

quoted from an article at xml.com by Norman Walsh:

"A schema is a model for describing the structure of information. It's a
term borrowed from the database world to describe the structure of data in
relational tables. In the context of XML, a schema describes a model for a
whole class of documents. The model describes the possible arrangement of
tags and text in a valid document. A schema might also be viewed as an
agreement on a common vocabulary for a particular application that involves
exchanging documents."

If you want to read more about schema's you should read the entire article:

http://www.xml.com/pub/1999/07/schemas/index.html

David Valera