   RE: xpath vs xql

  • From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@icl.com>
  • To: "'Huaxin Zhang'" <hxzhang@cs.ualberta.ca>, xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 10:44:51 +0100

> Somebody says XPATH provide a better functionality than xql.
> I am not sure about this. But lack of functions such as "like"
> to compare strings, and nested condition (i.e. a [] inside a [])
> makes it difficult to select some specified nodes with XPATH.
> One can make
> extensions to XSLTs to overcome some of them (such as string
> A like string
> B), but not always. Why don't the XPATH, allow using of
> nested conditions?

I suspect the absence of a "like" function in version 1.0 is because people
didn't want to put regular expression matching in unless they got it right,
which with full Unicode and full internationalisation is not actually easy.

I don't understand what you mean about nested conditionals, XPath does allow
predicates to be nested.

Mike Kay