   Re: XML Schema?

  • From: ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Henry S. Thompson)
  • To: Rick JELLIFFE <ricko@geotempo.com>
  • Date: 30 Jun 2000 13:06:58 +0100

Rick JELLIFFE <ricko@geotempo.com> writes:

> "Henry S. Thompson" wrote:
> >
> > Rick JELLIFFE <ricko@geotempo.com> writes:
>
> > >  2) type is directly keyed from the element name (or an xsi:type
> > > attribute), which does not allow the user-friendly markup idiom of where
> > > the element name gives the basic type of the element and an attribute
> > > declares the subtype; instead, if one wants subtyping, one has to make
> > > an explicit new element named for that--one must have <textInput> rather
> > > than <input type="text">...
> >
> > This is misleading at best: This style of document is somewhat
> > _better_ supported by XML Schema than it is by DTDs -- you can
> > perfectly well write <input type="text">...</input> in a schema-valid
> > document, and in some cases you can even organise things so that the
> > content validated thereunder is validated differently to e.g. the
> > content of <input type="hamAndEggs">...</input>.
>
> Henry, are you saying that in XML Schemas, a schema-defined attribute
> specified by a user in an instance (apart from xsi:type) can ever select
> the type or facet of the value of that element or of another
> attribute?
>
> Can you give an example?  (Note, I am not talking about fixed or
> defaulted values from a schema documenting the current type. That is
> something quite different. I mean keying {i.e. selection} of type.)

 <xs:complexType name="input" abstract="true">
   <xs:choice>
     <xs:element ref="source" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
     <xs:element ref="garnish" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
   </xs:choice>
   <xs:attribute name="type" use="required" type="readOrEat"/>
 </xs:complexType>

 <xs:simpleType name="readOrEat" base="xs:NMTOKEN">
   <xs:enumeration value="text"/>
   <xs:enumeration value="hamAndEggs"/>
 </xs:simpleType>

 <xs:element name="source"/> <!-- these could of course be more different -->
 <xs:element name="garnish"/>

 <xs:element name="lunch">
   <xs:complexType>
     <xs:sequence>
      <xs:element ref='lunchMenu'/>
      <xs:element ref='lunchReading'/>
     </xs:sequence>
   </xs:complexType>
 </xs:element>

 <xs:element name='lunchMenu'>
  <xs:complexType>
  <xs:element name='input'>
   <xs:complexType base='input' derivedBy='restriction'>
    <xs:choice>
      <xs:element ref="garnish" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
    </xs:choice>
    <xs:attribute name="type" use="required">
     <xs:simpleType base="readOrEat">
      <xs:enumeration value="hamAndEggs"/>
     </xs:simpleType>
    </xs:attribute>
   </xs:complexType>
  </xs:element>
  </xs:complexType>
 </xs:element>

 <xs:element name='lunchReading'>
  <xs:complexType>
  <xs:element name='input'>
   <xs:complexType base='input' derivedBy='restriction'>
    <xs:choice>
      <xs:element ref="source" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
    </xs:choice>
    <xs:attribute name="type" use="required">
     <xs:simpleType base="readOrEat">
      <xs:enumeration value="text"/>
     </xs:simpleType>
    </xs:attribute>
   </xs:complexType>
  </xs:element>
  </xs:complexType>
 </xs:element>

</xs:schema>

The above schema-validates

<lunch>
 <lunchMenu>
   <input type='hamAndEggs'>
     <garnish>onions</garnish>
     <garnish>tomatoes</garnish>
   </input>
 </lunchMenu>
 <lunchReading>
   <input type='text'>
     <source>The Scotsman</source>
     <source>The Guardian</source>
   </input>
 </lunchReading>
</lunch>

but not e.g.

<lunch>
 <lunchMenu>
   <input type='hamAndEggs'>
     <source>The Scotsman</source>
     <garnish>tomatoes</garnish>
   </input>
 </lunchMenu>
 <lunchReading>
   <input type='text'>
     <source>The Guardian</source>
     <garnish>onions</garnish>
   </input>
 </lunchReading>
</lunch>

I wouldn't quite call this 'selecting' by use of attributes, because no
single content model can contain two elements with the same name but
different types, but this admittedly fanciful example is actually
isomorphic to real examples where sub-cases of a general type are
signalled by fixed attribute values.

ht