   RE: XLink transformations

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>, xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 10:23:15 -0500

It is and I've said before that the issue with
hyperlinking back to the Hytime drafts was not
being able to tell if a behavior is associated
with a hyperlink.  We had some *contentious*
debates in the XML interest group over this.

We know by observation an <a href="" goes somewhere, but without
the implementation, we don't know how.  The
user doesn't always need to know, but the
author does, so hyperlinks and address
resolution are intertwined as a practical
matter no matter whose implementation or
theory is invoked.  We sprinkle the "fairy
dust of objects"  because as magic goes,
it produces repeatable results.  There are
other kinds of magic.  "Where do you want
to go today?" but the repeatability is at issue.

As time goes on, I'm not convinced the
case for hyperlinks is worse than the case
for any markup element:  is it

1.  A data object.  A structure (say, struct)
with declared data (see Horowitz and Sanhni:
Fundamentals of Data Structures).  Implementation
independent but unreliable.

2.  A class.   Includes the methods.  Reliable
but implementation dependent.

3.  Neither or both depending on context.  This
is the "choose the form of the Destructor" problem.
Careful what pops into your head because the
results may be "sticky".

In HyTime, the answer was that the best one
could do was abstract the types of hyperlinks
depending on the type of addressing and that
dependent on the context of the location.  In that
sense, it is a data object.  However, on the
bold move to XML, a lot of otherwise reasonable
people became convinced that elements are classes
and that made the JavaHeads happy.  It is unfortunately,
not of necessity true but it is in practicality, useful.

IMO: Read the contracts.

If the element contract is only declaring a relationship,
it is a data object.  If it declares a means or
description of its resolution (the semantic), it is a
class.  Note that without such *contentious* specs
such as HTML Components, it is pretty difficult to
build over this reliably and reusably.  To quote
Dr Goldfarb, "eventually, somewhere a bit must
change state".  HTCs and binary components do provide
a means to build and are simple enough to teach
to the less well-trained.  I like them for practical
reasons but I understand the problems of univerality
of asp:myThing namespace.  On the other hand, schedules
and budgets delimit results.

There is only so far declarative systems get one
before a function is needed and at that point,
the reliability of interoperation becomes statistical.

Len Bullard
Intergraph Public Safety
clbullar@ingr.com
http://fly.hiwaay.net/~cbullard/lensongs.ram