   RE: Can XSLT be bi-directional ? XML + XSLT -> XHTML -> XML + (XSLT)

  • From: "Ashvil" <ashvil@i3connect.net>
  • To: "Robin Berjon" <robin@knowscape.com>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2000 08:22:33 -0700

> Robin Berjon wrote
> At 14:54 01/07/2000 -0700, Ashvil wrote:
> >The other part of the equation was the ContentEditable attribute in
> >IE5.5 which let you make the content areas editable [2].
> >
> >I was thinking creating a simple XML editor which would
> let you edit
> >some data in a rich content view like MS Word document where only
> >certain fields are allowed to be editable using IE5.5.
>
> In that case maybe you don't need XSLT ? Given that your editor can
> understand style you could display the original data in a
> rich content view
> using CSS or FO, allowing the user to edit it directly.

Using CSS to do the styling for the XML editor will solve the
transformation problem. However, the beta version of IE5.5 supports
the ContentEditable attribute in HTML elements, and not in CSS.
Supporting it in CSS would be nice and would allow rich editing of any
XML document with the right stylesheets. I hope the IE5.5 developer
group, W3C style, Mozilla, and other groups will take a look at making
something like the ContentEditable attribute part of CSS. I think many
folks are interested in a read-write web for XML data.

However, CSS will not solve the problem for documents that need
transformation.

I did not understand how FO would solve the problem here unless we can
have a bi-directional transformation. If I understand right, to use
XSL:FO you need to convert your XML tree into Formatting tree. In that
case the question still remains how to you convert it back.

Regards,
Ashvil