   RE: Various presentations

  • From: Joshua Allen <joshuaa@microsoft.com>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2000 11:00:03 -0700

I'll vouch for the "XML Schemas" one, which I had the fortune
to see presented at XMLDevCon.  Something Simon didn't mention
about this presentation, but which I found useful: Have you
ever had a client/co-worker come to you confused about schema
and especially the way that things are changing, looking for
advice about the "best" way to markup semantics?  Everyone
is worried about committing to a schema markup technique until
they know which one is going to win.  This puts various methods
in "competition" as far as many are concerned.

This presentation did a good job of comparing the so-called
competitor standards and show how each could be useful, and
in the case of schematron for example, how different techniques
could augment each other.  Also, it discusses the history of
the standards and shows how we're all working toward the same
goal; and we *will* get there.  SOX leads naturally into Schema
as do other existing techniques..  Simon does a good job of
putting the convergence in perspective -- I know I'll send
people to his site when I get the questions in the future.

Joshua Allen
Microsoft eBusiness West Region
"No challenge can withstand the assault of sustained thinking" - Voltaire