   Re: Newbie: XML to ascii

  • From: Francis Norton <francis@redrice.com>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 11:54:35 +0100

Check XSLT (http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt) as a language for reading in XML
and XML "style sheets" (actually programs) and generating XML, HTML or
ASCII. At its simplest you can write an XSLT stylesheet as a
fixed-structure document that simply gets values merged into it, which
sounds like what you're looking for.

There are many good and free XSLT engines, I use instant SAXON
(http://users.iclway.co.uk/mhkay/saxon) or the latest MSXML3 drop from
MS. And if you go ahead with it, there is a good XSL newsgroup
(http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list).

Francis.