   RE: Property role and domain (was: Playing with XML Schema & XSLT)

  • From: johns@syscore.com (John F. Schlesinger)
  • To: "'Kay Michael'" <Michael.Kay@icl.com>, "'Jean-Marc Vanel'" <jmvanel@free.fr>, <xml-dev@xml.org>, <wwbota@egroups.com>, <daniel.rivers-moore@rivcom.com>, <Ioana.Manolescu@inria.fr>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 07:59:14 -0400

Mike Kay wrote:
"This need to represent both the role of a property and its domain has
always
been a problem in data modeling, for example the concept of domain was in
Codd's original relational model but didn't make it into SQL until much
later, and never made it into the core of the language."

I think we can exaggerate the extent to which designing XML messages and
documents is data modeling. An XML message from one business object to
another is more like a view than a table - that is, it represents one
application's view of, perhaps, a large number of tables. The mark up should
reflect that view and say as much as possible about what the application
means by the information it is sending or receiving. That is why I don't
like elements called <Address>, <Date>, <Name> or <Phone>. If you replace
them with <WhereToBill>, <WhenToBill>, <WhoToBill> and <AssistantPhone> you
are pinning down much better what you mean by the elements.

Yours,
John F Schlesinger
SysCore Solutions
212 619 5200 x 219