   Preserving computer history (SGML->XML)

  • From: "KenNorth" <KenNorth@email.msn.com>
  • To: "Kay Michael" <Michael.Kay@icl.com>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 09:43:52 -0700

> five pages of historical background in Bill Olle's "The Codasyl Approach
to Database Management" which I have sitting on my bookshelf...

That's probably a collector's item.

In the late '60s, my boss was a member of the CODASYL DBTG and we were
working on a new compiler with database extensions. Unfortunately, I tossed
those reference materials during a move.

Not too smart! Organizations such as the Computer Museum History Center are
looking for historical materials. Perhaps someone should donate a definitive
history of SGML -> XML.

The Computer Museum History Center has the following:
*  Grace Hopper on video telling the story of the first computer bug;
*  Bill Gates' paper tape for the Altair with the original
basic.  It is signed and dated and we have a photo of it.
*  film, tape, and the machine that had the original
SpaceWar! game.  This is the PDP-1 and our material has been used on
law suites keeping the ideas in the public domain.

The Computer Museum History Center
Building T12-A
NASA Ames Research Center
Mountain View, CA  94035