   Re: XML across varied Servers

  • From: tpassin@home.com
  • To: <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 22:24:44 -0400

Narayanan, Ramesh asks -

> I understand that XML is great for moving data across applications
> running under different OS. Every book and article says this is the
primary
> goal of XML. But i dont understand how this is implemented. More
> specifically , i need to send an XML document asynchronously from an Unix
> Server to a Windows NT Server, neither of them running a web server. How
can
> this be done, without using MSMQ or MQSeries ?  Could somebody throw some
> light on this ?

You have to have **something** running on the receiving end to listen for
you document.  And you have to have **something** to send it.  You don' have
to have a regular web server, though, even if you use HTTP.  With most any
good programming system you can build some kind of a socket server that
could receive the document. And there are libraries for http servers (or
ftp, or...) to do that sending or receiving.  Python is one among many.

If you don't want to run something special on the sender, you could email
the document, and automatically route it at the receiving end to the xml
processing system.  email is a buffered asynchronous system that is widely
available.

Tom Passin