   RE: power uses of XML vs. simple uses of XML

  • From: "Paulo Gaspar" <paulo.gaspar@krankikom.de>
  • To: <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2000 02:31:27 +0200

You are pointing out something interesting.

I still have one foot on one side and a foot on the other and I think I
recognise the situation you are talking about even in my recent past.

I am only going to point out a few issues that (IMHO) contribute a lot
to this situation:
 1. Lack of introductory articles with visibility to programmers,
    mostly in the WWW, that show the articulate use of those best
    practices;
 2. Lack of solid "easy-to-use-and-learn" tools;
 3. DTD's.

Detailing a bit (in reverse order):
 3. DTD's are awkward to me and to most programmers I know that also
    know about them. On the other hand, any programmer with some
    experience with databases finds XML Schema very intuitive;
 2. Most of the visual tools available to deal with XML related tasks
    are still fare from maturity. The text editors I know also do not
    help much beyond a bit of "syntax highlighting", with NoteTab being
    the best alternative I tried;
 1. As usual, when you want to start using a technology that has many
    different parts and aspects, the first problem with XML is to
    understand how those different parts and aspects can/should work
    together to perform the tasks you need.
    I do not know about a good public guide available and visible to
    the majority of the software developer community.
    Most articles that show up in the most popular sites are:
     - Pure marketing blah blah;
     - XML hype related (Hey... our site/e-magazine has articles on
       XML!);
     - Self promotion (Hey mom, I know how to do stuff with XML!);
     - About practical work cases by experimented software
       developers... that are newbies to XML.
    I have been considering writing a couple of these myself but,
    thanks to schedule pressure, I have been able to resist!  =;o)

I think that "1." has been the worse for me. I had to read a lot of
garbage until I started seeing the big picture, and this big picture
is still out of focus.

Good and consistent introductory material is missing.

Not a book or something that costs money, since not everyone is able
to spend money just to understand if a technology is worthy and many
only do it when they have something working.

What I miss is a small e-book, some kind of introductory course
pointed by visible pointers in the obvious XML sites (www.xml.org,
www.xml.com, www.w3c.org, ...).

Should be well written and directed to practical - learn a bit
by example - minds, as most developers have.
(Formal stuff and DTDs are not the cup of tea of most software
developers I know.)

I have found just the right style in HTML introductory courses present
in some universitary sites. I just do not know anything like that for
XML.

Well, at least I hope that this kicks some reactions.

Have fun,

Paulo Gaspar
(paulo.gaspar@krankikom.de)