   RE: power uses of XML vs. simple uses of XML

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2000 12:54:36 -0500

The level of application potential and the level
of application requirement vary, of course.  Understand
that originally, many SGML applications were aimed
at a user that was NOT a programmer.   During this
period, it was easy to see that even the least
power required a lot of skill and insight.  So, SGML
gained a reputation for complexity and obscurity on
one end of the spectrum of users, and of simplicity
and obscurity on the other end.    WYSIWYG gained
in popularity because while it was not particularly
flexible, it along with the advent of laser printers
was powerful enough to do the job at hand:  printing.

Remember, before 1988, few people talked about the
concepts that would become B2B, then enterprise
engineering, CALS, PDES, and so forth.  These people
realized quickly that it would not be possible to
ever achieve the levels of integration needed based
on WYSIWYG and simple relational systems.  They
pressed on into harder to implement concepts, some of which
were not economically realizable outside the black
programs and politically impossible.  They had to do
that while enduring the ridicule of being called
"the left wing lunatic fringe of SGML" by those
who not only did not understand the advantages, they
simply wanted their funding.

Sometimes, the theorists and adventurers have to
go ahead and create what they think will work cognizant
of the fact that by the time an imminent well-funded requirement
emerges, it may be years later and there will be different
names on the specifications.  That is a hard and bitter
pill, but it is the case.   NASA has been working on
ion engines since the mid sixties.  Only in the
90s did we finally see a working engine and no one
who worked on that team was an inventor of the technology,
the concepts, just the implementations.  It was not
pleasant to look at the gathered moguls of Lockheed
Martin some years ago and tell them that after a decade
of IETM research, all of the project money spent, and
all the reputations justly earned, that they would have
to put most of it away and go with web technology until
it had the power of the systems they already had running
and for sale.  It was necessary because now a bigger,
less technical community had emerged and the community
could not absorb the complexity or cost of these more
powerful systems but the economic justification of
recruiting from their ranks outweighed the local
economies of better systems.

There are other ways to do what XML does.  There are
other ways to do most of what is done in computer
science applications.  We pick the ones that make
the most sense with regards to resource and requirements
and move on.  Every two decades you will repeat most
of the developments of the decade before those at a
larger scale.  Ask any black bluesman about rock.  We
have to do that; that is the learning that
is fed back and amplified, reinforced, and broadcast.
It is pop culture and pop techology reflected in art
and in claw hammers.

Len Bullard
Intergraph Public Safety
clbullar@ingr.com
http://fly.hiwaay.net/~cbullard/lensongs.ram

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.
Daamyata. Datta. Dayadhvam.h

From: Simon St.Laurent [mailto:simonstl@simonstl.com]

I occasionally hear claims that "they just don't understand", but I think
there's something a lot deeper than that going on.  What exactly, I'm not
sure, but I suspect that practice will differ from best practice will
differ from specification in a lot of unexpected ways over the next few
years, and likely because of this disconnect.