   RE: Property role and domain (was: Playing with XML Schema & XSLT)

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: KenNorth <KenNorth@email.msn.com>, xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 13:48:56 -0500

There is also a DTD from that timeframe (the Semantic DTD)
that included a role attribute plus an attribute for
naming the element type from which an element type in
a different DTD was mapped.

Even if we see XML schemas and use the transform tools,
this isn't much of an advantage over the use of the
relational systems for which we provide import and
export.  The same problem of semantic mapping exists
and the same resource consuming task of getting all
of the communicating partners to agree on meanings
exists.  Specifying and creating interfaces remains
an expensive business.

The wall to wall enterprise vendors have a significant
advantage and that argues for application service providers
but against a semantic web.

Len Bullard
Intergraph Public Safety
clbullar@ingr.com