   RE: power uses of XML vs. simple uses of XML

  • From: Gavin Thomas Nicol <gtn@ebt.com>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 11:21:34 -0700

> > What kind of application can handle this?
>
> IE5.0 and Office 2000 allow this with HTML, VML and your own custom
> markup.

Very specific kind of application.

> > I'm not saying namespaces are useless, simply that many people don't
> > need them.
> >

> Sigh :-( Why do we always imagine only people using markup.
> Applications need it more then people do.

I'm not assuming people. Again, I've been processing SGML/XML in
very advanced applications for over 10 years, and I didn't have
namespaces during that time.

Namespaces are convenient *for some things*, but a lot of usages are
gratuitous.

> On a side note, I still do not understand what the objection to
> namespaces are. Seems to be natural if you came from the object
> oriented crowd, prefixes are natural.

Hey, I used to do alpha-renaming in lisp too.... but they're different
beasts.