   RE: power uses of XML vs. simple uses of XML

  • From: Ashvil <ashvil@i3connect.net>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 20:38:00 -0700

> From: Paul Prescod [mailto:paul@prescod.net]
> appear together and "just work." If I add a Corel:P to my
> Office 2000
> document, Word isn't going to do anything useful with it.

As long as it would just ignore it and save it with the rest of the
document without messing it up, that would be a major step forward. I
could still open the document in Corel Office and edit it.

> Getting Word
> to do something useful with invented tags is the really hard part.

Not sure about Word, but IE5 behavior [1][2] architecture allows you
to attach a rendering/editing system to it. This is how VML and
HTML+TIME is implemented. Maybe some Microsoft guys can shed more
light on this.

Regards,
Ashvil

1. http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/behaviors/overview.asp