   Re: SAX2 Lexical Handler Suggestions

  • From: David Megginson <david@megginson.com>
  • To: XML-DEV <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 14:37:07 -0400

Chris Pratt wrote:

> Our system is a web based authoring system
> that allows the XHTML/AML (our own markup extensions) to be parsed once and
> held in memory in an executable tree so that when each request comes in for
> that page a completely new HTML document can be created from the executable
> XHTML template by simply running the chain.  If all the attributes (which we
> use as Dynamic macros) are silently replaced by the parser, we have no way
> of Dynamically inserting the proper macro value into the generated HTML.

If I'm reading correctly (assuming 'entities' for 'attributes'), I don't
think that this is a very good approach.  Instead of

I'd recommend something like

or even

They do the same thing, but play nicely with existing tools (i.e.
someone could easily do the substitution with XSL if they wanted to) and
don't complicate your data model as badly.

All the best,

David

           http://www.megginson.com/