   Patterns - What is it?

  • From: Dan Mabbutt <Seigfried@msn.com>
  • To: XML Developers List <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 09:49:54 -0600

I'm confused.

I just discovered a branch of XML that I wasn't aware of previously called
"Patterns," but it appears to be two different things to two different
groups. Are there really two different disciplines, both called Patterns, or
am I missing something?

The first group is represented by the page http://www.xmlpatterns.com/.  A
brief review of this page and some of the references on it suggest that a
"Pattern" is sort of a "best practice" or "archetype software algorithm."

The second group is represented by the pages
http://msdn.microsoft.com/xml/xslguide/patterns-overview.asp and
http://www.fatdog.com.  Here, Patterns are a kind of query language.

Can anybody clear this up?

(And by the way, what does ASP really refer to as well? <not a real
question, just an example of a well known acronym clash>)