   RE: power uses of XML vs. simple uses of XML

  • From: Gavin Thomas Nicol <gtn@ebt.com>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 17:47:50 -0400

> Let's say you are composing a document with a couple of SVG pictures, a
> couple of XHTML tables, some mark up from your own problem domain and some
> from another - how are you going to do that without namespaces? Almost all
> of these are going to have element or attribute names clashes somewhere.

Again, I'm not saying that namespaces are useless, just not a panacea,
and only applicable in certain cases.

Depending on the application, the above is quite easily accomplished
without namespaces.

What is SVG, XHTML, or any other tag set? It's just some tags, or
words in a vocabulary. I use them as *I* see fit, and *I* associate
semantics with them because it is *my* information that *I* am encoding.

Most real applications are closed worlds.