   Re: XLink transformations

  • From: Michael Kraus <michael.kraus@informatik.uni-muenchen.de>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 13:36:25 +0200

Ben,

I think the problem is deeper than you described. For example:

******** XML data ********

<library xmlns="http://www.library.com">
    <book>
        <title>B1</title>
        <author>A1</author>
        <abstract>xyzzy</abstract>
    </book>
    <book>
        <title>B2</title>
        <author>A2</author>
        <abstract>xyzzy</abstract>
    </book>
    <book>
        <title>B3</title>
        <author>A1</author>
        <abstract>xyzzy</abstract>
    </book>
</library>

********* XLink linkbase ***********

<linkbase xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
    <link xlink:type="extended"
          xlink:title="Books by Author A1">

        <resource xlink:type="locator"
                  xlink:href="library.xml#xpointer(book[position()=1])"
                  xlink:title="B1"/>

        <resource xlink:type="locator"
                  xlink:href="library.xml#xpointer(book[position()=3])"
                  xlink:title="B3"/>
    </link>
</linkbase>

********* XSLT stylesheet *********

<xsl:stylesheet
	xmlns:lib="http://www.library.com"
	xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">

    <xsl:template match="lib:library">
            <h1>Books by Author A1</h1>
                These books come from library XYZ.
            <xsl:apply-templates/>
    </xsl:template>

    <xsl:template match="lib:book[author='A1']">
            <b><xsl:value-of select="title"/></b><br>
            <xsl:value-of select="abstract"/>
    </xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

********************************

The resulting HTML file will be (not valid, but it's only an example):

    <h1>Books by Author A1</h1>
        These books come from library XYZ.
        xyzzy
        xyzzy

Now the question is: Is there any chance for the browser, given the
linkbase from above, to know that there should be a link between books
B1 and B3? And if, which elements should be used as source and target
of the link? the <p> element or the <b> element? In my opinion,
there's no general solution to this problem if the complexity of
XPointer and XSLT is considered.

Michael