   Re: DTD declaration

  • From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
  • To: "Raheja, Dhruv (TRANS)" <Dhruv.Raheja@Trans.ge.com>,"'xml-dev@lists.xml.org'" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 10:21:21 -0400

At 09:50 AM 7/19/00 -0400, Raheja, Dhruv  (TRANS) wrote:
>My question has to do with DTD syntax . I'm hoping somebody will be able to
>help me out. i have defined an element as follows:
><!ELEMENT index (para*,num_list*,image*)>
>The above code allows me to define child elements (para,num_list,image)
>within the element "index" but only in the order in which they appear in the
>DTD syntax. What should i do if i need to alter the order in some parts of
>my document e.g. i add a <num_list> after an <image> at a certain place in
>my document instead of <para>. I guess this is an elementary thing but i'm
>only 2 months old in the XML world and I have to tell you that most of my
>questions will be very basic!!

I think that for what you're doing, it would probably be easier to do:
<!ELEMENT index (para,num_list,image)*>

That would let them appear in any order.

Hmm... GE... Erie, PA... any locomotives running on XML yet?  (I'm not sure
my brother-in-law the CSX engineer would like that much, though.)

Simon St.Laurent