   RE: XLink transformations

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: KenNorth <KenNorth@email.msn.com>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 13:43:27 -0500

From: KenNorth [mailto:KenNorth@email.msn.com]
Len,

>    Note:  often such operations require querying the actual
>    system containers for existence information, to reliably create
>    new containers, etc.

> Because each locator type has variable sensitivity to transform
operations, it must be accounted for in the design and each operation type
may be more or less reliable given the locator type.

You don't say it explicitly, but you are stating the case for the need for
integrity constraints -- and even better -- container-enforced constraints.

>>Yes, I think so.  In effect, and you know the drill, we often have
to call the system to get the contexts needed to create new containers.
So, operational rules if not shared will result in discontinuities and
that limits interoperability.  Effectively, the rules of the implementation
framework get involved.

> defined in the vancouver presentation on views over documents.
What presentation? Do you know a URL?

>>Sadly there is none.  This all predates the World Wide Web.
We were doing CALS then.

The first Vancouver presentation dealt with providing
a formula for view dimensions.  The next year I presented the work
on information ecosystems which was, IMO, a metaphorical
way to model large loosely coupled systems.  I had done no work with
relational systems to that point, so this stuff was windy at best.

I was doing a bit of work for David Taylor Model Basin (Carderock)
on advanced IETMs.  Because of all of the previous work I'd done
at GE on Beyond The Book Metaphor after we completed the
GE TM Authoring System for CASS, I was still
looking hard at the issues on non-linearity and what I called
view dimensions.  Paul Grosso and Paula Angerstein told
me once it all read like magic and they were probably right.
I am a musician/writer and a self-taught computer geek, so
not trained for the tasks I was attempting.  On the other
hand, sometimes not knowing details and being able to
do breadth vs depth research is a good road to prophecy
if not standards.  I wish I had the formula because
it was cool.  Neill Kipp may have it somewhere.  :-)

The notion was the need to use concepts such as
rules, schedules, and contexts for loosely coupled systems that
require synchronization.  Really, if one uses event
scheduling, synchronization can be loose and that is
why I use the Ringo story to illustrate the discoverability
of events by which one can reliably, stay in beat.  Event
driving is better than scheduling if the views are
constrained and real time systems design takes this
up as part of the limiting chaos problem.

IETMs are pre-condition/post-condition
driven systems of instructions.  I think in the early Hytime days, we
over-obsessed a bit over synchronization and overemphasized the
locking where the case is that for loosely coupled systems,
event recognition is more important.  Nesting the business
processes was well understood but joining them for concurrent
execution wasn't although that problem isn't that hard.  The
issue I was taking up at that time was hidden coupling, the
Huygens Clock problem.  The dilemma is to ensure efficient just in
time scheduling which is safe to execute.  An example is
repair on systems such as wings where one guy can be working
on one side of the aircraft while another is on the other
side.  If one tests a flight surface, he might kill the other
fellow.  Other applications were schedules for things that
require inspections to be safe; eg, a missile launch.  Then
there is resource scheduling and reallocation in which part of
the precondition for executing the process is a tool or part.
Not very dramatic stuff but interesting.  Again, it requires
one to analyse the ranges of coupling strength and make determinations
based on these about scaling time quanta in a schedule.

I have copies of the GE work and the correspondence between
myself and Dr Newcomb, as well as some stuff on frame-based
hypertext a la IADS, but none of the US Navy work where this
was published.  The non-linear stuff freaked out the program
manager and she demanded it be removed after the drafts were
submitted.  So I doubt the navy has it either.  After the first
Vancouver conference, the British Library asked for copies
of Beyond The Book Metaphor but someone in DC refused it and said
it was "non-exportable".  The silliness of that is that most
of the concepts had been published in Enterprise Engineering
for Concurrent Integrated Product Development and Support
Environments (GE Aircraft Engines) at a CALS Washington
Conference in 90-91.  I've seen it referenced in some
European presentations but mostly, I think all of the
early work was just too early for most people to pay
attention to, and it was hard to get if one wasn't in
the DoD circles.  Also, there was a presentation at a
GCA TechDoc Winter conference about the same period.  The
fellow to contact that owned the documents at GE Aircraft
Engines is Bruce Schoolfield (Cinncinatti).

"Left wing lunatic fringe" stuff but fun.

Again, as I told someone else, revisiting all of this is
like listening to my old recordings from my youth.  Naive,
precocious, pure and thankfully, over.  It didn't come
to much but reading the MS .net stuff is fun because
similar concepts are emerging.  I take no credit for that
but I think given similar problems and shared approaches
(eg, markup) very similar conclusions are reached.

Ack... called away to a meeting.  Rats.

len