   Recommended Simple XML Tools

  • From: Scott Price <scottprice@customercentrix.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 08:51:21 -0600

Realizing that the world's best XML developers participate in this list,
would it be appropriate for me to ask for your opinions to garner your
trench-level knowledge concerning the usage of XML development tools?  It is
not my intent to violate any protocols of the list, but your input could
benefit many of us who are tired of downloading and installing eval copies
only to find that the tool is full of bugs or feature-limited (demo only)
beyond practical evaluation.

To limit the scope, my primary interest is with simpler tools such as
editors.  Comments about the virtues of different parsers are welcome, but
not my focus.  My company teaches introductory XML classes for programmers
and web designers.  Our approach has been to minimize usage of specialized
tools in the training environment.  Invariably however, students want to
know, "What is the best XML editor?".  My response is to the effect, "Here's
a list, you must choose what fits you best."

The input from this list will be extremely valuable to a whole wave of
newbies who can benefit from your wisdom (and hard knocks).  Thank you in
advance,

Scott Price
www.CustomerCentrix.com