   RE: Recommended Simple XML Tools

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 13:05:00 -0500

Scott writes:

"The requirements are the most important part
of any solution.  Still, I'm looking for real-world objective opinions of
developers as to what tools they like to use in whatever part of a solution.
Or perhaps which ones to avoid (that might be too sensitive for public
consumption)."

No diss'in.  Can't do that. :-)  Can say why I like
what I like and what I'd like to see sooner than later.

Give them a range of applications based
on the roles.  A web developer is many things
or it takes a team to make one.  Interoperable
tools are important to the team.  So, typically,
if one is above the level of the simple HTML page,
a suite of applications does the best job unless
like many of us here, we aren't happy unless
we are entering and balancing tags by hand.

Again I like a room with a view and for
an integrated editing of a document with
both composed (rendered) and non-rendered
(say treeview), the XMetal product is
excellent and I recommend it to people
who don't want to get too deep into the
markup but need first class professional
results with a high correspondence to
full spec compliance.  The SoftQuad folks
have been at this for a very long time.

OTOH, day to day, I am also one of those
who uses Professional File Editor. When
editing direct markup, one wants an editor
that gives line counts, matches braces,
and has a macro functionality for customization.
If it can invoke external functions, say the
parser, that is even better.  Combined with
Internet Explorer and some of the utilities
(say, Derek Denny-Brown's validator add in),
that covers a lot of ground.  But I've done
markup for a long time and it comes easy.

Now, move on to something like X3D/VRML
where structural knowledge isn't as valuable
as conceptual construction: eg, making objects
into more complex objects and rendering down a
tree of transforms, there are those who can
edit this "in the UTF-8", but it is not productive.
For this, I definitely prefer an editor with
the ability to pick objects in the rendered view
that is then reflected in a select in the treeview.
Then I can get what I see and also edit properties
in a convenient representation.

That is what is most important in my opinion:
the editing representation should be efficient
for the task and where multiple representations
are needed, they should communicate.

For schema development, I liked the XML Spy eval
copy a lot.  It coped well with the conversions
for XDR and that is much appreciated.  I tend to
use it with PFE.   MicroStar's Near And Far is
excellent for the same reasons and in the SGML
era, was the best DTD designer on the market.  I
haven't kept up lately as I am just now only
revisiting markup design after a couple of years
or relational-only with XML as a hobby.

When building web pages with scripts, the debugging
is the hard part.  The script debuggers I've seen
aren't as effective as I'd like.  I kluge.  Because I
am proficient with Microsoft Access, I often design
and debug the form in the MS editor.  That way, the
table, script, and query environment is all there
at my fingertips.  Then I take these and convert
over to the HTML environment manually, that being
HTML forms are very easy to do by hand.  The events
match up pretty easily, and I copy the code over as
VBScript.  There is a Save As HTML but I don't like
the style and do usually rewrite the code a bit.
The advantage overall is that the code works well
before I do that.  The disadvantage is that given
a disconnected stateless system, I've had to rethink
the design.

XSL editing remains painful but I am too new to
it to be too critical.  Apparently, spec fidelity
is an issue but that could be the newness.

I am looking at the ADO+ papers and MS seems to have
thought this all through.  Therefore, I am expecting
a whizbang editing environment for web applications
from Visual Studio.  There is a cost, and I doubt I will get
rid of PFE anytime soon, but I will be more productive
when better integrated debugging and drag and drop
are combined with PFE-like direct text.  Looks like
that is just around the corner for a price.

"Speed is money.  How fast can you afford to go."
quote from Ron Harlow off a sign in a motorcycle shop.

Len Bullard
Intergraph Public Safety
clbullar@ingr.com
http://fly.hiwaay.net/~cbullard/lensongs.ram