   RE: Public Identifiers

  • From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@icl.com>
  • To: 'Paul Grosso' <pgrosso@arbortext.com>, xml-dev <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 09:26:02 +0100

> >Is it legal to define my own Public Identifiers for document types?
> >I'm assuming it is, given that the first section of the identifier
> >allows me to indicate whether I'm a 'registered owner' or not

In XML 1.0 you can use any string you like as a public identifier (subject
to constraints on the character set). It might not be public, and it might
not be an identifier, but it is a "public identifier" within the rules of
the spec.

The cognoscenti know that XML public identifiers were supposed to resemble
SGML Formal Public Identifiers, but there's nothing that would enable you to
guess that from reading the XML specification.

Mike Kay