   Re: Question About Namespaces and DTDs

  • From: Rick JELLIFFE <ricko@geotempo.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 15:56:24 +0800

Tim Bray wrote:

> At the time we cooked this stuff up, there were some real objections to
> using URIs for this purpose, and as I recall they fell into 3 categories:
>
> 1. Public Identifiers were built for this purpose, use them
> 2. URNs were built for this purpose, use them
> 3. Architectural Forms were built for this purpose, use them
>
> I can't remember anyone, at any stage of the process, arguing in favor
> of using unique prefixes.

I did several times.  The reason given against it was that there are
characters in URIs that are not XML NAMECHAR characters: my response was
that a subset of URIs was fine.  In any case, there could be some
mapping between the prefix and the URI.  (The idea was to turn the local
name into a SYSTEM identifier.)

Rick Jelliffe