   RE: XInclude [was: XLink transformations]

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: martind@netfolder.com, xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 08:06:40 -0500

No, just trying to keep the models in my mind
sorted out as I have to teach an XML course
here and want to be sure that I am saying
the right thing.  I guess one can
do as was done in the semantic DTD which
was to provide an attribute with the GI of
the original set ensuring it is preserved
in the merge.   The XInclude looks fairly
straightforward to use; basically, merge
at the point where marked.  Should be useful
as it is essentially an append from view
in a relational set plus the notion of
order given that no order is guaranteed
for a relational recordset.

Some XML concepts and techniques have to be
completely understood to offset the tendancy
to cast them in terms of one's technical
background.  IMO, it is essential to
understand the relationships among
location and named value as they might infer
identity where uniqueness, scope and
persistence characteristics of identity.
As we discussed earlier, understanding the
conditions of an operation as an operation
affects identity is essential.  An XInclude
is declared but operational.

It is hard to get technical folks to understand
that XML itself doesn't DO anything. :-)

Len Bullard
Intergraph Public Safety
clbullar@ingr.com
http://fly.hiwaay.net/~cbullard/lensongs.ram

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.
Daamyata. Datta. Dayadhvam.h

From: Didier PH Martin [mailto:martind@netfolder.com]

It is my understanding that the merge is occuring in a transient (or could
be permanent) infoset. It could be nearly impossible to undo the operation
if the xinclude processor does not keep track of the inclusion operations.
However, an xinclude may keep the necessary information to undo the
operation.

Is there any case you have in mind where this could be necessary?