   RE: XInclude [was: XLink transformations]

  • From: Didier PH Martin <martind@netfolder.com>
  • To: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>,Paul Grosso <pgrosso@arbortext.com>, xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 10:36:45 -0400

Hi Claude,

Claude said:
Ok, then, as I said to Didier, it appears
that this is similar to the append in the
relational system plus the notion of order
per the point of inclusion.  Am I mistaken
that the order of the information is preserved,
that is

BCB includes in  AA(include)AA to produce
AABCBAA

?

Didier replies:
Unless I am doing a mistake, yes the structure of the included fragment is
intact. This is in contrast to the document() XSLT function which returns a
nodelist. In this last case, the structural integrity of the source fragment
is not necessarily preserved. But this is not the case with the xinclude
processing which preserves the structural integrity of the included
document's fragment. Transformation is thus a processing occurring at
posteriori to inclusion.

Cheers
Didier PH Martin
Email: martind@netfolder.com