   table of contents and "wrap-around" text

  • From: "Raheja, Dhruv (TRANS)" <Dhruv.Raheja@Trans.ge.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 17:15:22 -0400

hello everybody,
                             let me begin by warning you all that I am  a
beginner at XML.....just started working on it a couple of months back. I am
in the process of preparing web-based documentation using XML and related
tools. I'm sure i'll be posting a lot of doubts on this mailing list, most
of which will be really fundamental and basic stuff which is why i warned
you :). Today I have a couple of doubts and I was hoping somebody will be
able to help me.

1.) I need to start my document with a table of contents. Is is possible to
generate a TOC using XSL in such a way that it consists two cols, the name
of the topic in one col and the page no in the other (as in any TOC).
However i want the topic names to be hyperlinked so that if someone were to
click on the topic he/she should be led to the relevant portion of the
document.

2.) I want to wrap my text around an accompanying image. The way i am
thinking of doing that is by defining a 3 row/ 3 col HTML table. The first
cell of the first row spans 3 cols. The first cell of  the second row spans
1 col and the 2nd cell spans 2 cols. The first cell of the 3rd row spans 3
cols so it is similar to the first cell of the first row. Thus what I will
have is text that continues to flow from (row cell1) to (row 2 cell2) and
then onto (row 3 cell1) with the image in (row2) cell1. I guess what I want
to know is whether it is possible to "split" an XML element (using XSL) in
such a way that part of its contents are displayed in a particular way and
the other part of it in another way (or location, in this case text from the
same element is supposed to be split among rows1,2 & 3).

I hope somebody will be  able to guide me.

Thanks a lot,
Dhruv

Dhruv Raheja
Summer Intern (Documentation Center)