   RE: Word output as XML? (was RE: XML in .NET - more than just SOAP?)

  • From: Cedric ROUVRAIS <crouvrais@octo.fr>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 12:17:33 +0200

<Cedric>

hi there,

in order to reduce the number of mails, i'm going to reply to several mails
here. sorry for the inconvenience.

the first reply is serious and then it kind of goes down a bit :-P

<ResponseToWordOutputAsXml>

i think we're missing the points that are quite interesting here:

    * microsoft office products are going xml. apparently some poeple can
open xml documents with excel. which isn't far fetched if u consider the DNA
products that are profiling.
    * however john cowan hit the bulls eye: what post processing is applied
??? how do u go from mml (microsoft markup language) to xml ? how moderate
is moderate ???

regarding XML,  unless i'm mistaken an xml document is a document that has a
root element and sub elements, like a RPN programme (for those who have a HP
48. btw my gx is still working after all these years :o).

an xml document is *well formed* if it can be validated against a dtd,
period.

if i've gotton xml right then this email is an xml document, not well formed
because i haven't given DTD for it. (maybe i should give it a namespace
though)

imho all this discussion of xml, pure xml, nfm (not far from) Xml is rather
childish.
take the info for what it is.
i don't think joshua wanted to say :
   <brantJoshua> hey guys we, at microsoft, know how to write an xml
document. </brantJoshua>

he was just shooting a remark, although he lacked some precision in it.
<sideNote>
  btw i don't know this fellow and i've never seen him and i'm *not* a
microsoft groupee. frankly i *loath* that blue screen.
</sideNote>

there's no need to bite your noses, or is there ????

<mostHumbleSuggestionFromCedric>
   may i humbly suggest that if there is a need to fight, take it off line
or go to some microsoft hate newsgroup. or mediocreSoft as someone stupidly
put it.
i came to this mailing list to be enlightened not to count points.
were are all you guys when i need some Diablo II partners ????
</mostHumbleSuggestionFromCedric>

</ResponseToWordOutputAsXml>

<ResponseToReQuestionAboutNamespacesAndDTDs>
    <Rick>
        <Simon>
            Now if only I was getting paid for all of these hours...
        </Simon>
        If only *we* were being paid to read all this stuff :-)
    </Rick>
    we'd be millionaires !
</ResponseToReQuestionAboutNamespacesAndDTDs>

<ResponseToSebastiansRemark>
    <Sebastian>
        Strontium Dog
    <Sebastian>
    Who's that ?
<ResponseToSebastiansRemark>

have a nice day gentlemen, even though in paris the weather isn't that great
today. (most probably due to the "rapprochement" England/France)

thanks for reading this mail to this point, sorry for the length of it and
any inconvenience incurred.

</Cedric>