   Re: Question About Namespaces and DTDs

  • From: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 09:49:47 -0400

/ "Paul W. Abrahams" <abrahams@valinet.com> was heard to say:
| I like the idea of what you're trying to do, but giving particular PIs an
| essential function in XML seems to me the wrong way to go.

Can someone point me to some arguments against PIs? There seems to be
strong sentiment against them, and I don't understand why. Some things
are exactly that, expectations that you wish to pass on to a processor.

In this particular case, it might be better, in some senses, to add a new
declaration to the DTD syntax

<!NAMESPACE mml URI "...">

And actually, that declaration could be used both in DTDs the way I
suggested and in the internal subset of documents to provide what Joe
suggested, but it would be a very intrusive solution, making all of
the documents that use it not even well formed under XML 1.0 rules.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman.Walsh@East.Sun.COM | We make out of the quarrel with others,
XML Technology Center     | rhetoric, but out of the quarrel with