   Re: Why the Infoset?

  • From: Sean McGrath <sean@digitome.com>
  • To: John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>, "xml-dev@xml.org" <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 16:33:31 +0100

At 12:27 31/07/00 -0400, John Cowan wrote:
>Sean McGrath wrote:
>
>> But the fact that the "same item" can have so many different lexical
>> forms means that getting the right answer every time necessitates
>> parsing the XML.
>
>...in an open environment, where you might get XML from outside
>sources.  In my case, the XML was both produced and consumed by
>programs I controlled completely: I could just as well have used
>a private format. By using XML instead, I am free to send copies
>to outsiders so that they may consume it.  Such outsiders had better
>use parsers, as I may change the non-Infoset details of my XML if
>I feel like it.

If you worked for me I'd insist you used a parser too. What
happens if you go under a bus? It would be remiss of me
as a manager of an engineering team to allow my developers
cut corners and expose the organization to costly engineering
that could have easily been avoided.

regards,

http://www.pyxie.org - an Open Source XML Processing library for Python