   RE: Are there still a lot of people using DTD rather than schema?

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: yimin zhu <yiminz@timberline.com>,"'xml-dev@lists.xml.org'" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 08:07:51 -0500

Your instructor is right.

1.  The DTD is part of the XML 1.0 standard.  Schemas aren't.
2.  The DTD has been in use in SGML since the mid eighties
and in GML before that.
3.  There is a lot of markup dependant on DTD processing.

That said, the extensibility of schemas is superior at the
cost of verbosity and complexity.  If you can handle those,
and once the schema becomes a final recommendation, it is the
way to go.

Two years ago I would have bitten my arm off before admitting
that.  Coyote ugly is coyote ugly.

Len Bullard
Intergraph Public Safety
clbullar@ingr.com