   RE: Its the semantics dummy :-)

  • From: johns@syscore.com (John F. Schlesinger)
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 10:21:04 -0400

Sorry about the length of this post.

The argument over the infoset set me thinking about court reporters.

These are the people that record _verbatim_ the remarks made (by judge,
counsel and witnesses) during hearings (if that's the right term). Although
they report pauses and, sometimes, stutters, they don't report body
language. So arguably, they are reporting a 'reduced infoset'. The press
reporters at the hearing, if there are any, are reporting an even smaller
infoset. They are only reporting the sound bites (as opposed, I suppose, to
the sound bytes, of the court reporter) that will interest readers. In any
case, someone has made a decision as to what constitutes the information
content of the court hearing. The only way to report everything is to replay
(on the holodeck) the hearing. The legal system makes one decision, the
press another, about what it needs to report.

Similarly, someone has to make a decision about what to report about an XML
document. Reporting everything is much easier in the case of XML than a
court hearing. However, for the purpose of parsing the document into a
memory structure that can be processed by an application program, surely the
Infoset (or something like it) is what is needed?

If you want to be able to handle the entire document, you can still do that
yourself. If you object to a database mangling your document you can still
store it as text. But at least if there is an Infoset specification you can
know what to expect will and won't be mangled. Without the Infoset,
everything that processed the document would mangle it differently and you
wouldn't know what quirks of your syntax were safe.

Yours,
John F Schlesinger
SysCore Solutions
212 619 5200 x 219