   RE: Why the Infoset?

  • From: Sean McGrath <sean@digitome.com>
  • To: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@icl.com>, xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 17:45:36 +0100

At 17:29 01/08/00 +0100, Kay Michael wrote:
>Personally, I don't have any problems identifying the need for the infoset:
>I've seen so many people try to attach meaning to lexical distinctions that
>should not carry meaning that I yearn for an authority I can point to when
>telling them they're wrong.

But distinctions that are irrelevant for some applications are not
irrelevant for others. This is the nub of the problem. The infoset
throws certain things away. In so doing, it creates problems
for certain types of XML processing applications.

regards,

http://www.pyxie.org - an Open Source XML Processing library for Python