   Re: Remember to RELAX (was RE: Are there still a lot of people usingDTD)

  • From: Bob Kline <bkline@rksystems.com>
  • To: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 16:11:49 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 1 Aug 2000, Simon St.Laurent wrote:

> I hate to break up the party, but I'm hearing from more and more
> people who are seriously considering converting to RELAX in addition
> to or instead of W3C Schemas. There seem to be multiple trains on
> the same track here, though one isn't from the W3C:
> http://www.xml.gr.jp/relax/
>
> Hopefully friendly competition will be a good thing.  There are a
> few stories on RELAX so far, one of the better ones being:
> http://www.seyboldreports.com/News/2000/20000307.html

I've assumed (from a distance) based on statements that use phrases like
"upward compatibility" and "easy transition" that the functionality
provided by RELAX was a subset of that provided by XML Schema.  However,
I haven't found anything in the latter comparable to the attribute-
sensitive content models supported by RELAX.  Is this because XML Schema
doesn't have such a feature, or just because it's harder to find things
in the more densely-worded Schema documentation (or perhaps just because
I'm not reading carefully enough)?

--
Bob Kline