   TR: Designing an XML-Database Application

  • From: Philippe Lambert <Philippe.Lambert@ixiasoft.com>
  • To: "'xml-dev@lists.xml.org'" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 16:19:43 -0400

1.) The way you store data depends on the structure of that data.  Object
oriented databases offer interesting functionalities, but they usually lack
in performance, which can be crucial.   One solution is to find another
option, we chose one based on documents.  XML is great as it structures data
that can be found in text documents (which are often lacking on that
account) and XML databases exist that will let you search and retrieve your
documents based on indexes that you design.

2.) I can only suggest that you try the products that are available on the
market right now.  There are a few that offer free versions of their
software for evaluation purposes.  I strongly suggest our own product, the
TEXTML Server that stores and indexes XML, in full text.  Our free version
is good for 1000 documents with no time limit and can be found at
http://www.textmlserver.com
It comes with a COM API, so you can create your front-end the way you like
and it also comes with a sample application to demonstrate how it can be
used.

Jean-Louis Couturier
Developer / Développeur
Ixiasoft