   RE: Why the Infoset?

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>, xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 16:00:06 -0500

Simon, why not dig up the SGML Grove and grove plans
to see what the subset is that exhaustively describes
XML.  Take it to a group similar to the SML group,
compare notes and produce a before and after list
of what this exposes.

I feel terrible for John Cowan in this regard.
The infoSet has been a major chore.  OTOH, if
the dev'rs are really unhappy with it (might
be time for a poll on that), craft an alternative.
I say use the grove because the SGMLers did an
exhaustive job, XML is a legal subset, so it
seems to me, contradict me if I am wrong, a
subset of the SGML grove is a good place to
start.

Len Bullard
Intergraph Public Safety
clbullar@ingr.com