   RE: entity reference

  • From: Jonathan Borden <jborden@mediaone.net>
  • To: Ronald Bourret <rpbourret@hotmail.com>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 10:14:11 -0400

Ronald Bourret wrote:

> I'm not sure I understand -- how would a SAX filter help the DOM?
> If you are
> building a DOM tree from SAX 1.0 events, there are no entity references,
> etc. -- the most you could get is multiple text nodes (from multiple
> callbacks to DocumentHandler.characters()), which the normalize()
> method can
> handle. (There is also a SAX filter somewhere that bundles
> multiple calls to
> character() into a single call.) Similarly, if you were
> generating SAX 1.0
> events from DOM, the most you could get is multiple calls to character().

The issue is how to present a certain normalized view of an XML document
(with entities). A SAX filter might expand entities into text,normalize text
and hence present this logical view of an XML document. This view can serve
as the input to either a DOM or another piece of software which provides a
DocumentHandler/ContentHandler interface.

Jonathan Borden
http://www.openhealth.org