   SGML, XML, redux

  • From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 12:40:01 -0400

And at 11:08 AM 8/2/00 -0500, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
>Please remind me, why did XLink get written, rather than adopting HyTime?

I'd like to suggest you try a piece I wrote back in 1998:
http://www.simonstl.com/articles/lettinggo.htm

I'd like to suggest that XML is very much an effort to throw off 'years of
wrestling with the problems of complete and rigorous definitions of markup
languages' and that reinvention of the wheel with what Paul Prescod termed
the 'simplicity vector' is necessary as part of that project.

It may not make the original inventors happy, and it's a lot of work, but
"Build one, or two, or three" to throw away is hardly unusual in this
industry.  What was it Schumpeter talked about as the engine of growth?
Creative destruction?

Simon St.Laurent