   RE: SGML, XML, redux

  • From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 14:22:21 -0400

At 01:04 PM 8/2/00 -0500, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
>Then you should like the InfoSet since it
>threw off the years, isn't as rigorous as
>you think it should be, and certainly seems
>to be making you unhappy.

Throwing off the years isn't the only criteria for success, remember?

It's "What does this do for XML".

>What you say about
>reinvention and throwing things away, etc.
>all certainly does look familiar.  One question:
>
>Can you do it better?

I think the Infoset could do a much better and more comprehensive job than
it currently does.

If I had time right now, I'd be happy to try.  Since about 50% of my time
is already going to non-paying projects (Common XML, xmlhack, XHTML-L,
Office2K converters, XPDL/packaging, etc.), and the rest of my time is
wildly overbooked, I'll have to leave that as a hypothetical.

>Remember, the infoSet is simpler now than it would
>have been using groves.  Will your attempt
>to complete it make it simpler or add more of
>the same, or start over, or....?  Programmers
>who must ship running code in the next release
>cycle want to know.

I haven't heard much about the Infoset from programmers who must ship
running code in the next release cycle, so I suspect they don't care very
much.

Simon St.Laurent