   Re: XML-RPC or SOAP

  • From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 12:22:58 -0400

At 09:03 AM 8/4/00 -0700, Dave Winer wrote:
>XML-RPC is alive and well.
>
>SOAP is coming along, but there aren't many interoperable implementations,
>and none of them implement all the possibilities. So interoperability is
>still a challenge in SOAP-space, where it's trivial in XML-RPC, and done,
>and demonstrated.
>
>So my advice is this, if XML-RPC does what you need to do, use it.

For once, I'll agree with Dave 100%.

SOAP may be more 'advanced', but XML-RPC is very convenient and easy to
learn.  For small projects, and maybe even for some relatively simple big
projects, XML-RPC makes a lot of sense.

(I like to say that XML-RPC gives you enough rope to hang yourself, but
SOAP gives you enough rope to hang yourself and a lot of other people too.
Rope is, of course, useful for other things as well!)

Simon St.Laurent