   RE: Arbitrary Infoset boundaries (was Re: Common XML - Final

  • From: keshlam@us.ibm.com
  • To: Jonathan Borden <jborden@mediaone.net>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 09:25:22 -0400

>But if DOM L3 will be based upon the Infoset, and the Infoset doesn't
>contain DTDs then how will that work?

The Infoset spec explicitly says that there's no reason something which
conforms to the Infoset need _only_ carry the data in the Infoset. We can
easily supply more details than are required (and we already do, in some
cases).

I'd much rather have the Infoset lead the way here -- in my opinion, the
DOM should primarily be an API to the Infoset, and the Infoset should
included all the information derivable directly from the XML document,
including its DTD and Schema(s) if applicable. But if Infoset doesn't blaze
this path, the DOM must.

Joe Kesselman  / IBM Research