   Re: Does DTD validation work with namespaces?

  • From: Jonathan Borden <jborden@mediaone.net>
  • To: keshlam@us.ibm.com, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 17:40:20 -0400

Joe,

> There have been proposals to extend DTDs to handle namespaces. The usual
> response is to refer folks to the newer schema languages. The sole
> justification for DTD syntax is compatability with SGML schemas; I don't
> think we can retain that while extending them to be namespace-aware, and
if
> we're going to give that up we might as well switch to instance syntax and
> simplify parsing.

    Why not simply extend the defintion of "valid" to "namespace valid" and
match element and attribute names based upon the expanded name rather than
the QName, that is suppose
<!ELEMENT doc (xxx:aaa)*>
<!ELEMENT xxx:aaa EMPTY>
]
<doc xmlns:xxx="http://whatever.org" xmlns:yyy="http://whatever.org">
    <xxx:aaa/>
    <yyy:aaa/>
</doc>

is "namespace valid" but not "valid".

All this would require is a change in the behavior of validators, not
syntax.

Jonathan Borden
The Open Healthcare Group
http://www.openhealth.org