   Re: Does DTD validation work with namespaces?

  • From: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 09:30:06 -0400

/ Rick JELLIFFE <ricko@geotempo.com> was heard to say:
| Norman Walsh wrote:
|
| > But to say that you can mix them "willy nilly" violates the principals
| > of validity at their core.
|
| That's a key point, I think.  Roger Costello has argued very strongly
| that namespaced-vocabularies should have schema languages which are open
| by default rather than closed.

I don't agree. If you want something to be open, you should have to
declare it so. But I don't much care about the default, as I'm going
to turn the knob to "closed" on my schemas explicitly no matter what
the default is.

| The utility of the idea of "content model" almost disappears with open,
| namespaced schemas.

That's because the notion of validity almost disappears, IMHO.

| But start adding namespace-awareness and I think they are being
| stretched far beyond their capabilities: if you add namespace-awareness
| the next stumbling block woudl be openness, as James and Norman are
| bringing out.

I don't want openness, so I don't see the problem :-)

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman.Walsh@East.Sun.COM | Puritanism--The haunting fear that someone,
XML Technology Center     | somewhere may be happy.--H.L. Mencken