   Re: Does DTD validation work with namespaces?

  • From: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 14:42:44 -0400

/ "Winchel 'Todd' Vincent, III" <winchel@mindspring.com> was heard to say:
| It would be nice if someone could draft a "Namespace Hack 1.0" specification
| and append it to (or even display it prominently on) the current W3C
| Namespace 1.0 specification.  There are a variety of *non-standard* ways we
| can all dream up to make this work.  The point of the W3C and standards is
| just that -- *standards* -- so we know how to communicate with each other on
| the Internet.  That's all I'm after.

Just to be clear, I meant something that isn't standardized at all
and, in fact, would arguably not be XML 1.0 compliant when I said
"namespace hack".

The "standard" technique of adding namespace prefixes to DTDs is
visible in the DTD for XML Schemas, I think, and in the DTD for
MathML, and no doubt in a bunch of other places.

I don't think we'll ever see it in a W3C REC, even as a non-normative
appendix, because it does not in fact allow DTDs to do namespaces.
Without an extension of some sort, they just can't.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman.Walsh@East.Sun.COM | We learn from experience that not
XML Technology Center     | everything which is incredible is