   DTD vs Relational Mapping

  • From: Arun Ramalingam <aramalin@olf.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 17:11:00 -0400

If this question had been asked before - my apologies.  I could not find a way to search the archives. What would be the most efficient way to map DTD elements to tables and columns in a Relational Database.  I am not too worried about (at this time, will be later) the actual implementation startegies like ADOs etc.  I am more concerned with - 'when I parse an xml document I need to use a set of rules to store them in DB. How do I create , store and maintain those rules' .  The first thing that came to my mind was to use XSLT. But the concern I have is would it still work if its  not a one to one mapping meaning each leaf element does not correpond to a column.  Can I embed SQL in XSL. Is XSLT the right way to go.  Are there any off-the-shelf solutions available now. Thanks a lot