   OO design and XML Schema

  • From: yimin zhu <yiminz@timberline.com>
  • To: "'xml-dev@lists.xml.org'" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 11:08:50 -0700

Dear all,

I am reviewing some schemas following MEL Schema specification. I am kind of
lost in a sense that my original thoughts about XML schema definition is
that it is to define a sufficient but minimum number (ideally) of tags for
my application domains. I used OO approach for analysis even designing
schemas following XML-Data Reduced but never strictly mapped between them.
Now with XML Schema which has lots of OO concepts in it, the schemas I am
reviewing now tend to be bigger with finer classes, more relationships, more
hierarchy, inheritance and so on because it follows the approach for
defining a OO software system. It seems to me that defining XML data files
(for data exchange) is different from defining OO software systems, but I
can tell exactly what the optimization rules are to develop XML schema from
OO perspectives. Help me out?

Yimin Zhu