   DTD/Schemas with repeated structure

  • From: Justin Lipton <justin@speedlegal.com>
  • To: "Xml-Dev (E-mail 2)" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 06:37:33 +1000

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has come across this problem.
We are currently using a DTD that has the following structure.
Ignore the actual names used here as they are purely for illustrative
purposes but assume that there is no choice but to use such a structure:

<!ELEMENT Mammal (MammalName, MammalType)>
	<!ELEMENT MammalName (#PCDATA)>
		<!ATTLIST MammalName (latin|common) "common">
	<!ELEMENT MammalType (#PCDATA)>

<!ELEMENT Fish (FishName, FishType)>
		<!ATTLIST FishName (latin|common) "common">
	<!ELEMENT FishType (#PCDATA)>

<!ELEMENT Bird (BirdName, BirdType)>
		<!ATTLIST BirdName (latin|common) "common">
	<!ELEMENT BirdType (#PCDATA)>

Image dozens of elements like this!

Is there a way (either with a Schema or a DTD) to generalise this type of
structure such that:
<!ELEMENT * (*Name, *Type)>
		<!ATTLIST *Name (latin|common) "common">
	<!ELEMENT *Type (#PCDATA)>

Cheers,
Justin.