   Re: Localisation: Character Encodings & RDBMS,Unicode->UTF-8 with Round

  • From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
  • To: Frank Boumphrey <bckman@ix.netcom.com>, xml-dev@xml.org,rpbourret@hotmail.com
  • Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 12:17:54 -0700

At 12:58 PM 30/08/00 -0400, Frank Boumphrey wrote:
>Section 2 of the Namespaces rec declares
>ie
>  <foo:a  xmlns:foo="">In the foo namespace</foo:a>
>is illegal
>Can anyone tell me the reasoning behind this?

Yes, that's illegal.  My memory is fuzzy, but one of
the important reasons is that if you have a default
namespace <x xmlns="default-ns-uri"> and then you
want to unset the default so there is none, the
obvious way to do that is <subX xmlns="">, which
doesn't mean the default ns is "", it means that
there isn't a default ns.  It would be distinctly
weird if the semantics of <x xmlns=""> were wildly
different from <x xmlns:foo="">.

Also, the WG was (quite rightly, as history has
shown) very nervous about relative URIs as
namespace names, and "" only makes sense as a
relative name. -Tim