   RE: Namespace and Versioning

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>,Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <frystyk@microsoft.com>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 08:24:32 -0500

I agree that it is hell and no size fits all.
On the other hand, for exactly that reason,
no size should preclude any other.  It is
similar to the problem of assigning security
levels to field values.  It becomes a very
tortured graph.  What I was looking for initially
in this thread is some comments on the practices
people are using to see if any general cases
emerge.

Len Bullard
Intergraph Public Safety
clbullar@ingr.com
http://fly.hiwaay.net/~cbullard/lensongs.ram

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.
Daamyata. Datta. Dayadhvam.h

From: Tim Bray [mailto:tbray@textuality.com]

Having spent a few years in the data management industry, I learned very
painfully that versioning in general is just pure hell.  The reason
is that when different communities say "versioning" they mean totally
different things.  The versioning semantics in the reference publishing
industry, in the pharmaceuticals industry, and the aviation maintenance
industries, just to take 3 examples, are from completely different
planets.  There just ain't no framework general enough to make all these
people happy.  Just my opinion.  -Tim